Monday, February 21, 2011

Appian Way - A Diary Entry

Feb 27, 1992

Camp Darby is supposed to be the resort area of those soldiers stationed in Italy.  I don't see it.  They have some camping grounds and some cabins for rent and it is next to the Italian Riviera, so I guess it counts as one.  The official use for Darby, named after Darby's Rangers they claim, is for prepositioning equipment in case there needs to be a rapid deployment to North and Northeast Africa or Northwest Asia.  It is sort of like our poncus sites in Germany.

For the last several days I tried to figure out how I could get the guys to take advantage of their free trip to Italy.  I came across an idea and it worked.   They had been pestering me all day today to take them bowling at the camp.  I finally relented and said I would.  When we started bowling I suggested we make a bet to make it more interesting.  They complained that they didn't have as much money as I did, so I told them that I would put up a $100 that could be split between them if any of them beat me and that if I beat all of them they had to let me plan a weekend excursion for them this coming weekend.  Well, I won.  I even picked up the 6,7,10 split.  We will be going to Florence this Saturday and Rome on Sunday.  I'll even pay for the train tickets.  They complained about losing the rest of the evening.  Go figure, I wouldn't mind losing several bets like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment