Thursday, June 2, 2011

Chapter I, part 1 of 2, Barn Burner

Continued ........
(Cover Letter)
To: Dr. J. Simpson
From:   C. Stone McAnally
Subject:           Final Report on Village Dig 639
The attached report is based on interviews, original documentation, and prime source material.  Some of the information helps validate field finds and interpretations of site research.  I have used a rural narrative form and not the academic MLS format so as not to lose the flavor of the period.
_____________________________
Chapter I
Barn Burner
The County Caller - The Newspaper of County News
Editor, Publisher, Reporter – C.W. Flowers
Barn Burners Arrested
Doodenville – Yesterday, three men were taken into custody by the sheriff for setting fire to Steve Branson’s barn.  Steve Branson, the farmer who owns the barn (or what is left of it) should not be confused with Steve Branson the County Engineer.  They are second cousins, however.
Ezra Brown, Samuel Horn, and Zeak Thurman were arrested for allegedly setting fire to the barn after Mr. Branson, the Engineer, said he saw all three men drinking and acting peculiar near his second cousin’s place next to Lake River.
According to Sheriff Lenzi, all three men have refused comment, but Ezra Brown told this reporter that he is innocent and will tell all he knows at the court trial which is scheduled next week here in Doodenville.
The three men are being held in the Doodenville City Jail without bond because they don’t have any money anyway.  Steve Branson (farmer) told this reporter earlier today, “I hope the boys didn’t do it.  I’ve known them all their lives.  I’d hate to think they’d treat me like this.  Why, I've even had business dealings with Ezra”.
As usual soft drinks and candied apples will be provided prior to the trial.
Official Court Transcript
Bailiff:   All rise.  Here ye, hear ye, hear ye. This court is now in session.  The Honorable James Johns presiding.
Judge:  Take your seats.  Bailiff, the docket, please.
Bailiff:  The County versus Ezra Brown, Samuel Horn, and Zeak Thurman.
Judge:  Read the charges, Bailiff.
Bailiff:  On July 21 of this year, ones Ezra Brown, Samuel Horn and Zeak Thurman maliciously and willfully set fire to Steve Branson’s barn.
Judge:  For the record, which Steve Branson?
Bailiff:  The farmer, your honor, not the engineer, but they are…
Judge:  Yes, yes, I know, they are second cousins.
Bailiff:  For the record, sir.
Judge:  Yes, for the record.  Do you boys have anything to say for yourselves?
Defendants:  Yes, yes, yes. (Order of response unknown-cr)
Judge:  Are you boys represented by counsel?
Ezra:  By what?
Judge:  By counsel, a lawyer.  Do you have a lawyer to plead you case”.
Defendants:  No! (In unison – cr)
Judge:  Do you want one?
Samuel:  Judge, we decided that we would have Ezra here speak for us.
Judge:  Well, this is mighty unusual.  I assume it is all right with you, Samuel, how about you, Zeak?  Zeak?
Zeak:  I…I guess so.
(noise in the back of the court room – cr)
Judge:  What in tarnation?  What’s going on back there?  Order in the court!
Crazy Jimmy:  It’s just me, your honor.  I dropped my tray of carmeled apples.
Judge:  Sheriff, get him out of here along with his carmeled apples.  I won’t stand for these disruptions.  This court will be conducted with dignity, even if I have to come out there and whip somebody.  Now how do you boys plead?  Guilty or not guilty?
Ezra:  We don’t know, Judge.
Judge: What do you mean you don’t know?  You know if you did it or not.  If you did, you are guilty and if you didn’t you are not guilty.  Guilty or not guilty, what is your plea?
Ezra:  Yes, I mean, we know if we did or didn’t, but we don’t know if we are or aren’t.  We don’t know nothing about the … , I guess you could say, the law.  Can we, or me, I guess, just tell you what happened and then let you decide if we did, or didn’t, or are or aren’t?  We know you are a fair and honest man.
Judge:  Uh, well yes, why yes, most certainly.  This is a little irregular, but yes, yes, my boy go ahead, now take you time, just relax.
Ezra:  Well, Judge, we was just doing a little drinking down around Lake River near Crisp Water Landing.  As usual, Samuel Horn here got all drunkard up but instead of passing out or running along over to the Doodenville City Jail, he started dancing and whooping it up just like Crazy Jimmy does every so often.
Judge:  Is what Ezra says the truth, Samuel?
Samuel:  I reckon.
Judge: What do you mean, you reckon?  Did you or did you not behave in a manner consistent with the testimony so far presented by Mr. Brown?
Samuel:  I reckon I understand what you just said and I reckon I did what Ezra says I did but I was drunk and don’t remember.
Judge:  Has Ezra related the story correctly so far, Zeak?
Zeak:  I …I guess.
Judge: I guess?
Zeak:  I mean, yes, that is what happened.
Judge:  Well, then let’s see if I have this correct up to now.  Samuel is acting crazy because of the alcohol, then what?
Ezra:  Well, he, Samuel, starts running for Steve Branson’s place and…
Judge:  Excuse me for a moment, Ezra.  Mr. Flowers, for the record have the court report indicate that this is Steve Branson, the farmer, not the engineer.  Excuse me again, Ezra, you may continue.
Ezra:  They are second cousins you know, Judge.
Judge:  Yes, yes, I know, now get on with it, Ezra.
Ezra:  Well, like I was saying, Samuel goes running towards Branson’s place, his barn to be exact, and he runs inside the barn and closes the door.  He must have locked it because Zeak and I keep yelling for Samuel to come out but it didn’t do no good.  It is then we noticed smoke coming out from under the door.  Well, we did what does not come naturally when there is a fire type situation.  Instead of running in a panic, we stood our ground.  We yelled and kept hollering and trying to break down the door to rescue poor Samuel, and of course, put out the fire.
Judge:  Well, you must have succeeded in rescuing Samuel.  He’s here.
Ezra:  Well, not really, I mean Samuel just opened the door and walked out.
Judge:  You then tried to put out the fire with apparently no success?

....to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment