Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Panama 6

Panama Pundits - 6
Jan 17, 1991  (note: diary entry)

Yesterday was a big day.  The big news was "war."  Bush went and did it.  At 1900 hours EST our planes launched an air strike against Bagdag.  Desert Shield has now been changed to Desert Storm.

I was on the road back from Sherman and was informed at the gate.  Reactions are mixed.  Some think it is about time and some do a little gallows humor, some are worried, some take our position here in Panama as life threatening and still others feel that the war is a long way off and no outside influence will effect our mission here one way or another.  All are justified in their thinking.

The soldiers here cheer to let out frustrations and there is much hidden apprehension, gallows humor is always present during stressful situations because it allows our minds to deal with the unthinkable.  Some worry they will have to go or their children, loved ones or fiends.  No matter how remote a visible well publicized task force like ours could be a target of some sort or insurgency for propaganda purposes and there are those who think we are bigger and more important then we really are.

I have no idea what our command element is up to.  Whatever it is the rest of us will find a way to criticize.  However they are responsible so whatever procedures they take to protect us should be looked at as a big insurance policy.  So far they have closed down the camp, put out roving patrols, increased perimeter lights and I guess there will be more security procedures taking place.

There is talk about us being extended so rotations can go to Saudi, flights back home being cancelled etc.

I can truthfully say I am not concerned.  Partly out of reason and partly because I am a very very minor part of the great adventure.  Just to be on the peripheries of war is interesting.  Some of the guys gather around the radio and listen to the news.  Others are playing cards or sleeping.  It is the morning of the 17th and the rest of the day will see what direction we take here in Panama.

Now, the reason I was in Ft Sherman.  I made contact with Norma, the adoption lady.  She said that you must work with honest people in the adoption process.  An adoption cost about $1000.  She is going to call a Social Worker she knows and see what is available and then talk to me.  I may not be able to get back to her before I leave but I will write.  It works like this: you pick out a kid, you fill out the papers, get OK'd, heir a lawyer, pick up the kid.  The problem is that we are out of the country.  We might have to come one time and visit and then again to pick up the kid. 

I explained Jan and my relationship and my financial position.  The thought it was better if Jan applied.  That would limit us to a girl under Panamanian law.  Then I could adopt when we got home etc.

Norma also told me of an orphanage.  I went to visit.  Poor but neat but a notch above the other Panamanian housing I have seen.  (note to blog reader:  The adoption thing never got off the ground.  Norma did tell me she knew of a family that had about 9 kids and the mother was pregnant again.  She said that I could come back with Jan when the baby was born and get a birth certificate saying Jan had the baby when we were vacationing and thus make the child ours have the necessary proof to reenter the US with a child in hand.  I passed on the idea.)

The news has been full of Iraq.  But they keep saying the same old thing.  I can't believe it will drag on long and don't believe I will ever get close. 

Today we put up additional perimeter security lights, prepared generator holes, and filled sand bags.  It is in the name of physical camp security.

I did go into "town" and ate a fairly decent meal but still not been impressed with the food.  Tomorrow will be my last day at base camp they say but who knows, they change their minds a lot.  I would just as soon be in the jungle as at Sherman..

No comments:

Post a Comment