Monday, May 2, 2011

Panama Pictures



Some pictures but not nearly all of Portebelo, Fort Sherman, Camp Thomas, Nombre de Dios

The Black Jesus in Portobelo

The Conga Queen

Church and Plaza in Nombre de Dios


Part of Camp Thomas

Nombre de Dios Lagoon

Beach at Nombre de Dios

Portobelo fort


Portobelo

Fort Sherman



I have found out that the Spanish use to ship gold and silver out of Nombre de Dios but it was ransacked and destroyed by pirates.  Portobelo was then used and to make sure that would never happen again the Spanish built a large fort.   Pirates such as Henry Morgan and Francis Drake were no stranger to the area.

Also a few years later I started  reading a book I picked up at a yard sale.  It was called "Gold."  I was about half way through the book when it mentioned Nombre de Dios and Portobelo.  I started paying closer attention.  It was written in the 1920s and by who I do not recall, but it was a prequel to Treasure Island.  I thought that very interesting.  I had always wondered how Long John Silver new there was buried treasure on that island.

No comments:

Post a Comment