Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Van Horn and Other Friends - Junior

               

The infomous thing that happend to all of us that year was the assanation of President Kennedy.  We all knew where we were when we heard the news.  I had Mr. Simonie that year also and when the news came over the intercom that the president had been shot Mr. Simonie apparently suspended the no prayer in school rule and we all did.  Later a girl came into the class and crying said that JFK had died. 

Other than that things were pretty much as they should have been. 

Again I went out for football and because the Senior boys were mad at the head coach, Fessler, they decided not to go all save one guy.  Becasue of that fluke I was able to make the starting line up.  Summer practice was as miserable as always.  After school began Fessler had a team meeting and said that he had been approached by the Senior boys and they wanted to come out.  Fessler said it was up to us "but just remeber you are the ones who went through summer practice not them."  We all voted and only the one Senior voted to allow them to come out. "Hey, these guys are my friends."  As a team we should have probably let them come out and I sort of wish we had looking back on it.  They were just a bunch of overly excuberent kids flexing their independence but then so were we.  We only won four games that year and I don't know if we would have done better with the older kids.  The one good thing that came out of it is that I was voted by the league to the second string all star team alond with Tim Bly and Tom Koehly.  Tom might have made first team I am not sure.  Those two guys got their recognition for their ability, I think I got mine becasue of my name and being a center I had less competition through out the conference.  Tom was a guard and Tim was in the back field.  Of course having a nickname like Snapper didn't hurt much.  There was a small article in the KC Star whoese headline was "What's In a Name"..."Well if it is Snapper McAnally then it is because he is the center on the Van Horn football team."  Little did they know that I was known as Snapper long before I ever played center.  Just a little fluke.

It had been a tradition that only Senior girls were nominated for Home Coming Queen.  But due to the fact that that the Senior boys were not on the team and the football team nomiated the queen canidates there were only a couple of Senior girls nominated.  I nominaed Jan and she and a couple of other Junior girls were the first Junior girls ever to be queen canidates.  I don't know who the Home Coming Queen was that year but I think it was a Senior.

I went out for the swim team again but they started having practice in the mornig and not after school and I didn't want to get up that early and walk that far.  Besides Tom K. got a care that year as did Bob Davis a life long friend and one of them would pick me up each morning.  I wasn't about to walk unless I just had to.

Again I don't remeber much about my academic life that year except I took Latin and sort of liked it and was lucky to have a very good teacher, Mr. Medina.  I even was voted presdent of the Latin Club and along with Mary Beth Steinemeyer wrote a play that our class performed in front of state wide Latin Club covention in Columbia, Missour.  I also remember that I had a lot of fun going to parties and dances and even out on real dates with Jan.  Her parents didn't like me much, but they would not have liked any boy their daughter was going out with.  They didn't think she ought to be going steady with anyone they were right of course although not very practical, where young "love" is concerned where there is a will there is a way.  They did allow us to go out one day every other week or so and the rest of the time we would just meet at parties behind their backs.  Now and then I would have one of my buddies pick her up.  I don't think Jan wanted to go steady either and in fact she decided to go to the prom that year with someone else.  I got another date and the poor girl had a miserable time I am sure.  I have always felt a little bad about that.

Jan was very talented.  She was in all the musicals that year and if she didn't have the female staring role she was the co-star and of course becasue we wre both sort of well known we fed off oneanothers popularity.

I think I went out for track that year but soon found out that I didn't have abilty to do anything.  I wasn't fast enough to be a runner, and wasn't strong enough to participate in the field events and was to lazy to work on either.

The other big thing that happend towards the end of the year was that I got a drivers licese.  Things really changed after that and my Senior year would be one of the best years of my life up till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment