Wednesday, October 26, 2011

North in Alaska - It Will Be Fine

Well I guess I should not have been so hard on everything the other day. I was just tired from the long trip from Tucson to the little Athabaskan village just north of the Arctic Circle.  Besides we will only be here for a few weeks but it can be a culture shock.  I had forgotten the reality of the bush.

She was not down because of the surroundings, it was I found out later, more because she knew I was upset fearing I had lead her astray.  Oh well.  The supplies should get in tomorrow and the convoy to our cabin should take place soon after that.

When I got the offer to be a travelling teacher I jumped at the chance even if it was only going to be for a few weeks.  How really could I turn it down.  A log cabin and four wheeler along with a motor boat came with the deal and all I had to do was venture out two times a week and make home visits to kids and answer any of their questions from the lessons they took over the Internet from long distance schooling at the University of Alsaks-Fairbanks.  This ought to  be a pretty good adventure.  The only down side is that I have to keep the generator running and I am not mechanically inclined.  In a pinch they told me Big Bear Sam lived about a mile away and he could always be counted on to help. Between the out board motor, four wheeler, and generator I suspect Mr. Sam and I will become good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment