Tuesday, January 10, 2012

North to Alaska - The Map

It is about time I let you all know about the animal skin map I received from Uncle Frank.

I have mentioned many times that he gave me the map and have indicated that the trails always seem to take me places that are, well how do I say it, a little out of the ordinary at best and down right strange at the least.  I have also mentioned that no matter where I am or what trail I take back to our cabin the trip never takes more than 45 minutes.  It might have taken me an hour or two to get to where ever I was going, but it never took more than the 45 min. to get back.

There are two things that I have not mentioned however and that is that I found out that if I said out loud where I wanted to go before leaving my cabin and then unfold the map, one of the many trails would be highlighted for me to follow and if I some how ventured off the trail, like making a wrong turn, the highlighted area would start blinking and keep blinking until I rectified my route.  If that were not strange enough the place or places I thought of going, or mentioned I was going before opening the map, would appear as points on the map clearly labeled.  If I failed to do so, mention my destination out loud, or just opened the map for no apparent reason, the map would be blank with only a mishmash of black lines intertwined atop of the parchment.

This is the first time I have mentioned to anyone about my observations because at first I thought I was suffering from delirium due to the isolation  and later more concerned that I would possibly be thought of as mad and fired from my position as the itinerant teacher, a position and job that I have become fond of and provides Bev and I a life we have learned to cherish.

However I do have an inquisitive mind and I will track down the mystery of the map.  Big Bear is coming by tomorrow and I will start my investigation with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment