Tuesday, February 14, 2012

North in Alaska

North in Alaska -

Last Tuesday I got an emergency telegram (yes they still use them in this location of the frozen north) delivered by none other than Big Bear.  Not only is Big Bear the local mail man for the district but also the Western Union representative, UPS and Fed X delivery man, and CEO of the local Welcome Wagon, all of which he takes very seriously. 

After signing for my telegram, which Big Bear said was a strict rule, he stood there waiting for what I could only could discern was a tip.  After forking over a couple of dollars he immediately went to the kitchen table poured himself a cup of tea and helped himself to Bev’s latest concoction of home made biscuits that today were laced with Italian cheese, onions and garlic. “Quite tasty,” he said through a mouth full.

The telegram was from the School District central office informing me that I would be audited by the Alaskan State Educational Department concerning the progress of my students.  The individual would be arriving around Tuesday.  It was , it was already Tuesday and I mentioned as such to Big Bear.  “He is waiting in the sled.” Big Bear said. 

I went to the door and yelled for the state representative to come in.  “Hello,” he said, “My name is Horace Mann.”  I looked at him with a blank stare.  “I know, I get that a lot.  May I sit down so we can proceed?”

He spread out some papers on the table and went over each one of my students progress reports and informed me that all seemed to be going well and in fact because of the No Child Left Behind law they all were to receive their High School Diplomas immediately.  “In fact, that is really why I am here.”  He then presented me with all the diplomas.  I told him that I was surprised but he said they had done so well on the state high school equivalent exams that it was felt that it was a waste of time and money to continue their secondary education given the fact that they had mastered all the criteria that the state had considered necessary to be judged a high school graduate.  He also gave me applications for the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.  He also gave me an application so I might apply for the position of University Coordinator for the region I found myself living in.  He said it was not uncommon for one person to hold two jobs in the educational field in this part of the state. 

 I seriously doubted they all would or wanted to go to college and informed his as such and I asked why would the local school district keep me as an employee if I had no more students?  “Because some one has to keep track of the progress of the Finks.” He said.

To me that sounded ludicrous because if there was one family and children in the area that did not need my assistance it was the Finks.  They had a good system going and by all accounts their children had and were doing well.  But who was I to second guess the decisions of our government, especially since it was about education and I had almost doubled my salary. 

I filled out my application and Mr. Mann left but not until he had eaten three of Bev’s biscuits and pocketed two for the trip back to where ever he came from.

The next day I sat out to deliver the news, diplomas, and university applications to my students and informed each nothing was going to change really just more of the same but perhaps at a higher level and I would not come by as often.  They were more responsible for their learning than they had been in the past I informed them.  To my surprise each and every one of the students immediately filled out their application, even Jimmy Green. 

On my way back to the cabin I thought I ought to go by the Fink residence and inform them of the new situation.  Mrs. Fink seemed un phased and Mr. Fink said he would welcome my increased visitations.

So now it is Friday morning and I have a ton of stuff to prepare for next week.  I would not want my first day as a college professor, so to speak, to be spoiled by being unprepared for class Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment