Monday, December 13, 2010

The Power of Ten - Alaska

The Power of Ten – Alaska

The winter snow, wets the valley below, and I know I must get through.
Fred’s on the sleigh, from the previous day, and he’s turning a ghastly blue.

As I look down the path, through frosted lash, I spot a possible trail.
“Onward,” I cry, to the huskies backsides, as they howl and whip their tails.

Off we go, though weary and slow, and I swore I would not fail,
To get ‘ole Fred, to a comfy bed, and out of the freezing gale.

Now it weren’t Fred’s plan to put his hand, into a beaver snare.
He seemed quite sure, he could grasp the fur, as his face wore a greedy glare.

Then a cry split the cold, and pain took hold, it darned near killed the bloke.
He flopped all around, on the cold white ground, and my shoes got blood red soaked.

All I could see’ was a new amputee , as he pointed the reddish stub,
Right at my face, through the white falling lace, it looked like a bloody club.

“It weren’t real smart, to trap in the dark,” He said with lips so thin.
“I may not be, as quick as you Lee, but I’s been proud to count to ten.”

So I searched the ground, for the hand laying round, and found it to no surprise.
The red soaked meat, I tucked away neat, into my parka’s side.

Three days have passed, and the wintry blast, makes me wonder why we’re alive.
“Look here Bub” as he shows me his stub, “All I can count to is five.”

“Don’t worry,” says I, with frost in my eye,“you still will be able to.
Your hand I’ve hid, in my parka lid, although a finger’s turning blue.”

“You will be able again, to count to ten, as long as we keep it chill.
There’s a Doc up ahead, whose able it’s said, to attach it with expert skill.”

We mushed into Kline, I seek and then find, the Doc we needed to see.
The Doc looks at it, and then thinks a bit, and pulls on a large whiskey.

He works all night, by candle light, just a sewing and stitching and such.
And then with a grin, through a breath of gin, “There, that weren’t so much.”

He thumps on his chest, “I’m one of the best,”
He says with saintly pride.
“He’s got all ten, success once again,”
Then Fred just ups and dies.


No comments:

Post a Comment