Saturday, November 12, 2011

North to Alaska- My Frozen Chum



Well I bet you just about for got about me or you thought that I was blown away by the terrible snow storm that hit the western coast up here.  Well if you thought the blizzard had gotten me you were almost correct. 

Although we are miles inland from the west coast of Alaska, nearer to Canada really, the effects of, what they are calling a snowacaine, did have some effect on us.  I started on my rout Tuesday and after two hours of travelling on what is becoming a familiar rout it began to snow.  There was about 6" on the ground and the trail was clear enough but the further I went the harder the snow and  more unclear the trail.  I eventually decided I needed to turn around and head back to the cabin.  Just as I found a clearing to turn around in I came across a man humped over his snowmobile.  At first I thought he was dead but when I checked his pulse it was still beating.  I really didn't know what to do.  The snow was increasing and it was getting darker.  I knew I had to get the man inside out of the cold and snow that was driving through my parka like driven nails, but where?  I decided with out much thought that I would lash the man on to the sleigh I pulled behind the snowmobile.   I emptied the school material from the sleigh, lugged the quiet clay over , placed him in, wrapped him snugly and strapped him in tight. 

During all this I kept talking to him and I swore he hearkened with a grin, but with no other movement or sound.  The snow was really coming down now and I could not find the trail.  I had plenty of gas so I was not concerned about running out and I knew my compass worked so I would eventually get to Big Lake and I could find my way from there. 

I eventually came upon a rise and down in the valley below I saw a log cabin that looked very much like my own.  We had to get out of the weather, it was taking us longer than I thought it would, so I made a hasty beeline towards the abode.  The door was unlocked and although rustic in nature I determined this would do just fine for a shelter till the storm passed.  At least if the guy died he would not freeze to death.  I got him in the cabin, laid him in the only bed and started a fire in the fireplace with kindling so kindly left by whom ever owned the place. 

I realized that I would probably be there all night and I knew Bev would worry so I tried to reach her on my walkie talkie that the school district had provided.  I was in luck.  I got hold of her, gave her a brief description of what was going on, told her not to worry, I would be home when I could.  Of course I forgot to ask her if she was doing alright.

The fire was roaring but I knew it would not last long if I didn't find some more wood.  I headed out behind the cabin and started collecting dead wood, at least as much as I could see trough the driving snow.  I must have made 10 trips in all staying inside just long enough to thaw out and check my friends pulse. 

On the last trip in I saw my buddy sitting up in bed starting to take off his clothes and get under the blankets I had provided from the clothes closet.  I was shocked.  He looked at me and said he guessed he owed be some thanks and this is the first time he had been warm since he left Tennessee.   I will tell you more about him later.  I got home late last night and I am tired.  School is Monday you know, I need to rest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment