Saturday, November 5, 2011

North to Alaska - First Full Week

The week went by pretty fast.  I spent all day Tuesday going over notes the previous teacher had left.  She was single lady who came out here all alone and stayed five years. She had made very detailed notes on each student.  In addition to Eddie Joe and the Twins there was plenty of information on Sally Deer and Jimmy Green and the seven children of the Fink family, missionaries from Montana.

Wednesday was a pleasant day.  Eddie and the Twins had learned their lessons well.  Eddie showed me an otter he had cleaned.  It had to hang for three days outside he said then he could cut and eat it.  I quickly counted the three days off in my mind and with a sigh of relief realized I would not be there for the feast.  I am some what thankful.   The Twins after their lesson review and new assignment showed me a traditional dance they had been practicing for the Thanksgiving tribal reunion that was to be held in a couple of weeks.  Uncle Frank even played the drum but as usual never said anything or acknowledged me.  That is the the first time I had heard about the party and didn't think I would be invited anyway, not being a member of the tribe.  They assured me I was invited.  "Everyone is invited, they have to come."   I asked them where it would be and they said they would give me all the info I needed next week.  I had wondered what we would do for Thanksgiving this year and wasn't really looking forward to  the food we had in the cabin.  It is good and nutritious of course but it isn't Thanksgiving turkey, cranberries, stuffing and such.  My mouth is watering now just thinking about it.

Sally Deer and Jimmy Green lived relatively close to one another, meaning five miles or so.  Sally was not a good student but her standardized tests and reading ability were far superior to any of the other students I had been assigned.  Her mother and father were friendly but distant.  Sally was just as friendly and just as distant.  She showed me here work from the last teacher and accepted my assignment she was to have for our next visit with out asking any questions.  She seemed a strange girl and the only thing I could think of at the time and even now is that she is a sad little girl.

Jimmy Green was an outgoing young man as was his mother.  The father was no where to be seen and from the notes the former teacher left no one was really sure who he was.  The mother's uncle  had taught Jimmy how to be a provider and he, albeit 16, was doing a good job.   His mother was extremely interested in Jimmy succeeding in school and the only Athabaskan parent so far that I have met that even hinted at college.  Jimmy on the other had did not care at all for school, couldn't read hardly, knew nothing about practical math, forget writing, but he did have a verbal knowledge of his Athabaskan heritage and could hunt, fish, and provide just as well as most grown men.  He is becoming what they call an Indian's Indian.  That Thursday, Jimmy taught me more about the wild life in the area than I taught him about what a noun was.  This one could be a challenge.  His mother I think is learning more than he is.

The Finks were not part of my educational responsibility.  Mrs. Fink home schools all there children until they reached the age of 14 and then they went away to a missionary school just outside of Fairbanks.  They have 9 children seven of which were still in the home along the banks of the Big Lake.  They supported themselves by donations from congregations they visited every year with some of the local Athabaskan children in tow.  They also had a rich patron that gave them just enough cash to buy plenty of food, clothing, gasoline, and health services if it was needed.  Their children were very well educated, Mr. and Mrs. Fink seem extremely happy and the kids seem content and well adjusted to a life in this part of Alaska.  The two children away from home, were doing well according to official transcripts the Finks showed me proudly.  My job concerning the Finks was only to make sure they were still doing well and provide any assistance they might need via text books or other material.  I only have to stop by their place one a week.  I think we will both enjoy the company.

So it is Saturday.  Seems like I have been here a long time already.  Not because I don't like it, but because I do.  Not being an outdoor type of guy I find it a little strange that I enjoy the great outdoors.  I like riding through the woods on the four wheeler, fishing off the dock, even cleaning the fish for supper. Of course I have only done that once so far but after today it will be twice.  I am done for now, I am going fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment