Sunday, December 28, 2014

A Christmas Observation

Every Sunday here in the park, gated community, RV place or resort, what ever one wants to call it, we have a social.  Some body buys a bunch of doughnuts, coffee is provided, introductions of those new to the park are made, birthdays are recognized as are anniversaries. The events for the coming week are highlighted and then a program of sorts is put on by volunteers who want to entertain or inform.  Some of them have been very interesting.

This week they passed around the microphone and told of their favorite Christmas memories.  Many people participated.  I did not.  I had done it last year and the year before so I did not figure any thing I had to say would be that interesting.  After it was all over though I did think of something that while not as fun as Christmases past it is sort of a first for me as far as realizations go.

I have spent several Christmases alone so when Bev's oldest daughter Renee was scheduled to have a baby  around Dec 20, it was a no brainier that Bev go out to help and visit as most mothers do when their daughters have children.  It is a mother thing.

People around the park have sent me food, asked me over for dinner, stopped by for visits and provided moral support, not knowing I really didn't need it, but I have been touched by their concern that I had to spend Christmas alone.  However I was not alone.

My mother lives in the park, just a block away.  Her special friend was out of town so we spent most of the day together.

Bev and I will spend many more Christmases together but how many more Christmases will I spend with my mother? How many of you spent Christmas with your mother?  How many of those living in the park spent Christmases with their mothers?  I should be inviting them over for dinner and taking them food I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment