Saturday, January 22, 2011

Where's the Moose? - Alaska, part 3


“Years ago, there were three brothers named Wolf, Bear, and Moose.  Each brother took on the characteristics after the animal that was in his spirit.  Wolf was clever and swift of foot, Bear was strong and brave, and Moose was lazy and stupid.

“Wolf and Bear would hunt the seal and the salmon.  Moose, finding that hunting of seal and fishing for salmon was much work, would wonder around the village eating the garbage thrown out by his neighbors or rummage through the tundra looking for berries and other edible plants.  When winter arrived and berries and plants went deep in the earth not to return until spring, Moose would have to beg for food from his brothers.  The brothers did not mind at first because they were good hunters and stored up plenty for the long dark days of winter.  But then Wolf and Bear took a wife and had many children and the women told their husbands that they had no excess of food to share with one who would not even try to provide for himself during the lean times.

“Moose did not understand why he would have to work as hard as his brothers.  So one winter day after eating all the garbage that could be eaten, he stole the children of his brothers and ate them.  It was easy, as the children did not run away – in fact, they would even seek Moose out because he was funny looking to them.  Moose found out that this was easier than foraging for garbage and much easier than walking the tundra, so he began to eat all the children in the village that he could.

“The villagers went to the other two brothers and said that Moose must be killed.  Wolf and Bear loved their brother and did not want to hurt him so they dressed in skins of their spirits and chased Moose far way and when they had chased him far enough, they returned to the village to tell everyone that Moose was dead and would not return to Raven Bay.

“The brothers were afraid that even though Moose was stupid, he might accidentally find his way back to the village, so each day they would roam the tundra to hunt and guard the village against the return of Moose.  The guarding interfered with their hunting so the brothers went to their spirit animals and made a deal with them.  They promised all the bears and wolves that if they would protect the village from the return of Moose, they would leave some of their game on the beach each day so they could concentrate on protecting the village and not do much hunting.  That is why other than man, the moose has no enemy except the wolf and bear.”

Jimmy Rivers stopped talking and I found it necessary to ask, “What happened to Moose?”

“Well as often happens to lazy and stupid people,”  Jimmy continued, “He got lucky.  The place Moose was chased to was rich in berries and tall plants and shrubs that grew above the Tundra snow.  He met his spirit, married and had many Moose children.   He became so ashamed that he had eaten his brothers children, he made his own children promise never to return to the village area.  Besides he told them there was no food in the winter and that they would starve.  Would you like another cup of tea, Gussick?”

I drank another cup of tea, talked about Michael Jordan, and Jimmy’s time in the army.  I finally asked him how he became a shaman.  He told me.  I would tell you but you would not believe me.

After another cup of tea, I said it was time to go and started for the trap door when Jimmy said, “Why don’t you use the front door,”  pointing to the blanket hanging next to the Jordan poster.  “It is easier on the back.”

I left the semi-subterranean dwelling standing upright and walked out onto the Bering Sea beach with Jimmy following me.  As I was mounting my 4-wheller he asked, “Do you believe me Gussick?”  “Certainly,” I replied and drove off and thought I heard some chuckling behind me.

From that time on every time I sat in front of my fireplace thinking about my conservation with Jimmy Rivers, I found myself wondering why such a story could not be true or at least have some basis in fact.  The longer I would sit there and stare at the moose head hanging over the stone fireplace, I swear to this day that it was grinning down at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment