Sunday, March 13, 2011

Church Incident-Buckland, Alaska

Church Incident - Buckland


                  The last six weeks of my stay in Alaska I was transferred to Buckland to fill the slot of a teacher who had to leave for medical reasons.  I had no TV so I had to fill my evenings with watching movies at school or just about anything to keep from going crazy.  The teachers that were there had already established their relationships and for some reason did not seem to bother trying to welcome a stranger.  I found this little church that had Wednesday and of course Sunday meetings so I started attending.  The congregation was non denominational as far as I could tell and consisted mainly of people giving testimonies.  I learned a lot about the wages of sin and forgiveness in this little Eskimo Village. 

One evening towards the end of the service a lady came in and said we all had to stay in side because Sally was shooting at Freddy again.  I had no idea who Sally and Freddy were but everyone else just looked at each other with knowing sad nods and sat down.  After about 30 minutes a lady stood up, instructed all of us to get into a circle and hold hands.  She then commenced a prayer  asking God if it was OK for us to go home now.  I didn’t hear a reply but she said,  “Ok, everything is alright we can leave now.”  I got back to my abode alright so she must have had a better communication link than I.    As an aside, the next day I saw an Alaskan Trooper in town.  He said he had just flown in to see what was happening between Sally and Freddy this time.  He said it wasn’t any big deal he guessed.  “She is always shooting at him but always missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment