Thursday, March 24, 2011

Deutschland Diary 7

 Sunday 23 September 1984

Thursday and Friday were uneventful.  Friday evening and the rest of the weekend made the trip almost worth while.  Our weekend excursion started out like the rest of our time in  Germany - confusing.  The 25 of us were to meet at the Div Arty TOC which was at my location.  We were supposed to leave around 1800 but since we wanted to make sure everyone was accounted for we did not leave until 1900 and even then we were short 3 people.  Two were accounted for and would show up at our destination.  I was sent out with the Polezie to get the third one.  We went 30K and ran into a road block consisting a helicopter that they were taking apart and mounting on a truck and got stuck in several other locations before we found where Jack Stewart was supposed to me.  He had already left.

We headed to Rothenburg along dark and winding roads through a misting rain in the mountains of Bavaria During our trip Ollie and Rolf turned on their flashing blue lights and siren and weaved in and out of traffic.  It was an experience I wont soon forget.

We arrived in Rothenburg about 9:30 pm.  We drove thru the old Walled City and eventually fond the motel or guesthouse.  I checked into my room and joined the others in the dining room.  I had Cordanblue, peas and French fries.  About 10:30 I went with the rest of the guys to a German bar.  It was a typical place, one which you think a German bar would look like. Old wood paneling, rustic looking place.  There was a lot of singing and dancing.  Jerry got the chicken dance going.  Most were good sports about it, other Germans just sighed when it started.  I guess it would be like someone go to the states and start doing the twist.

The next morning I got up at 5 am and had strong black coffee, hard roles, cheese, and meat.  The breakfast came with the room.

I then started about doing one of the most enjoyable things as it turned out in my life - walking around the streets of  Rothenburg.   

.....continued

No comments:

Post a Comment