Sunday, March 27, 2011

Deutschland Diary -9

Thursday Sept 26, 1984

We have moved twice more since my last entry.  Schutelburg then to Elsburg.  If some day in the future we all get out a map and try to find these places we wont be able to because I am sure I am not spelling them correctly.

Apparently the war will be over tomorrow around 4 pm.

Following are some character sketches of some of the people I have met here:

Lt Phares.  Young, immature looking but a career soldier.  He is competent and will make a good officer.  He is the type of guy who make you glad the civilians have control of the military.  Regular Army.

Capt. Davis - Worked as my counter part during my off shift. Comes from a military family.  Good officer. Regular Army.

Capt. Spencer- Chemical Officer with little to do.  He gets all the misc. details.  Reservist or Vol Indef.

MSG Rodriquez - Big Mexican from Texas.  Loud mouth.  But not a bad sort.

MSG Barber - The best NCO of the lot.  Laied back but can kick ass if he has to.

LTC Ford -  I knew him from Golden Saber exercise in Texas and a few guard drills.  He is the DIV ARTY XO.  Good man, competent.  Not many of the guard guys like him though. I am one of the few.  I don't think he cares much for guardsman.

LTC Sanders - S3, OK guy.  Don't know much about him.  Jerry worked with him a lot.

Col. Miller - CO. I had no relationship with him at allThere are others of course but when I begin to write there is nothing a whole lot to say.

 Just a bunch of guys thrown together, ships passing in the night, a shared experience but then barely a glimpse and then gone forever.  Such is army life I guess.

The army has some definite problems but it is easy to be critical unless you have tried to coordinate tactics and logistics for 15000 people.  That is just our side.  The other side (the Orange Force) has about the same number.

This exercise if I had to put it one word to describe how I feel about it is Cold.  I have not been worm since I have been here.  I can't wait to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment