Monday, March 28, 2011

The Day I Think I Didn't Meet Tom Bodett - Alaska

After a day of revisiting sites around Anchorage a lady friend of mine and I headed down the coastal highway along Turnagain Arm toward the Kenai Peninsula.  Our first stop was Homer.  We stayed at a place called Land’s End which was just that, resting at the end of a spit about as far south as you could go on the Kenai.  Homer was not much of a place but typical of an Alaskan coastal fishing tourist town.  Land’s End was nice but not fancy although it did have a magnificent deck attached to a quaint little bar overlooking the ocean and scattered islands.  Our room was not ready so we had to wait, and then wait, and then wait some more.  Due to the bar, I was not upset by the wait and watched the fishing boats return to port.  We waited so long, however, that I very graciously requested some sort of reparation and after receiving one, I said my friend needed one, too.  We dined on Oysters Rockefeller that night.  It was the first time I had tasted them and I even liked them.

Now what does all that have to do with Tom Bodett?  As I was standing by the reception desk one of the several times I went to enquire about the room saw several people talking about their trip.  One  guy seemed to be in charge of the group and while he was talking to the receptionist she offered to have his bags taken to his room.  He declined and said he would take care of them. The fellow did not look familiar to me but his voice sounded like I had heard it before.  Later I heard that Tom Bodett of Motel 6 fame, lived in Homer and owned Land's End.  I know now he lived in Homer but I am not sure he owns or owned Land's End and I am not sure it was even he or him, depending on if you come from Homer or Seward.

A friend of mine told me that Mr. Bodett's writings and musings reminded him of mine.  Sort of flattering but not sure of the accuracy.  I would like to have met Mr. Bodett and if you are reading this blog, Tom, I want you to know you are invited to visit my house anytime you want or if one of you readers out there know Tom please pass on the message.  Needless to say I will keep the light on for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment