Monday, November 15, 2010

Appian Way - Camp Darby

A small contingent of National Guard personnel were sent to Camp Darby, Italy to rewrite the defense plan for Livorno.,one of the main sea ports in Italy.  I was the Major in charge of rewriting the plan. 

We had a lay -over in London for a few hours and were subjected to a high degree of security as only one would suspect for Heathrow.  We eventually were notified that  our flight to Pisa on Alitalia was ready to board and we proceeded to the appropriate gate.  That is when security stopped.

You might say that Italians are a little more lay back than most. We passed through the passenger gate with hardly even a glance from the airline attendants, took whatever seat we wished, received no instructions on how to fasten our seat belts or where our life preservers were, or anything else that might help us survive an un-forseen occurrence.  To prevent a hijacking a curtain was drawn across the cabin separating the cockpit and the passenger section.  I felt safe, sure.

The attendants were gracious and served all the espresso, biscotto , and wine that we could eat and drink. They were not bad looking either, the attendants not the biscotto.  I began to feel safer.

When we landed in at the Aeroporto di Pisa we were left on the runway to pick up our own bags while the other passengers walked to the terminal building.  That turned out not to be as bad it sounds.  While the rest of the passengers were working their way through customs and machine gun carrying Carabinieri, we shouldered our duffel bags and walked right past everyone.  I guess they thought if we were carrying OD duffel's we were OK.

My worst fears were realized when I soon realized there was no one at the airport to meet us.  There was not an American uniform in site.  I made my way to a public pay phone, figured out how to use it and called Camp Darby and identified myself as if my first name was Major.  The operator switched me to the Officer of the Day, a 2LT, who said that they did not expect us until next week.  I asked if he thought I ought to camp out on the front lawn and wait.  He said he would send someone to pick us up right away. 

An hour later a young captain picked us up and wanted to know where we were staying.  I said I had no idea and that he better figure something out soon because I had some people who needed food and sleep and I as getting cranky. 

He took us to Camp Darby which was about 5 miles away and were shown a cabin that four could sleep in.  Unacceptable I informed him.  We went to an enlisted mans barracks and found 8 empty beds and I told him that too was unacceptable.  I suggested we go to the housing office.  The captain explained our plight to a GS whatever, and that accommodations on post were not available.  I and my rank and crankiness suggested that we be given off base lodging.  Everyone agreed and we were given a government voucher to be used at a hotel in Tirrena, just three miles down the road.  Fine I said, but how are we going to get back and forth.   No problem the lady said, here is a voucher to rent a car.  Later my little entourage and I were driving to the Tirrenia di Navigazione spa over looking a nude beach on the Italian Riviera in a five speed BMW.

I could tell this was going to be a hardship tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment