Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bremerhaven

By Sue Wemett

The Bremerhaven MEDDAC was a very interesting old building in a nautical town with a tradition, that of being the receiving & departing location for troop ships during WWII and earlier, prior to air transport. Somewhere near the Emergency Desk of the MEDDAC was a somewhat grand staircase with a round window, reminding me of round nautical windows. Our MEDDAC was not only a military installation, in the middle of town and not on a post, but also employed German civilians. Though I remember my military buddies, it is the warm German civilians I remember most fondly. There was a kindly elderly German fraulein, and if I recall correctly, it was her husband who spent a significant amount of time teaching me the German children's song "Muss ich denn," if my German spelling is correct. I can still sing it, in German, and occasionally do. It became a favorite ditty of mine for quite awhile. I will always fondly remember the kindly people of Germany and her fascinating culture. .

1 comment:

  1. There was a kindly old man in An Hoa that was amusing and worked aboard the base occasionally.
    Somebody found his little notes with the footage to different locations around there. No wonder those mortars were so good at aiming so soon.
    I wish I could have gotten to know him a little better.

    ReplyDelete