Sunday, November 21, 2010

Eskimo Voice - 1

Note to reader.  This was first published in Whispering Wind - American Indian: Past and Present,  Vol. 35 No. 2

Mother
As told to Conley McAnally by Elena Wasky

My grandparents adopted my cousin and I right after we were born.  Although first cousins we became brother and sister just as much as my grandmother became my mother.

My brother's name was Gabriel Joseph Meyers, we called him Joey.  He died at nineteen but those were a good nineteen years.  A little bit later Dad died from pneumonia.  Mother and I were left behind. We became very close and I never wanted to be without her; but that was not to be.

Mother and I lived in a cabin on a hill side over looking the Yukon River.  It was a very quiet place about a quarter mile from the village.  During the summer we were surrounded by colorful plants sprouting from the ground, birds making nests in trees, and bees buzzing the pretty flowers of yellow, pink, and purple.  Butterflies flew around enjoying the warmth.  In winter we would be covered with a magical blanket of snow.

Mom worked hard all her life, but she always had time to help if others were in need.  It made no difference if it was a place to stay, fish to cut, skins to prepare, or if a friend just needed an ear to talk to, she was always there.  Mother loved berry picking and cutting fish during the summer.  When it was not too busy and the weather was nice and breezy she and I would gather drift wood that had floated down the Yukon River and washed up on the bank. We did well together.

She taught me how to sew material and skins, to cook, and other little jobs in and around the house.  Sometimes in the evening we would sit on the floor under a bright light, and my mom would sew mukluks or boots and I would crochet in an attempt to make scarf. How I miss those days.

A few years went by and I got married and had a family of my own.  Two daughters were born.  My first daughter, Josephine, was named after my brother Joey, and my second daughter, Agnes, was named after my Godmother's mom, Vera.  My mom stayed with us because I did not want her to live alone. 

She got sick after a few years.  She tried ayuq, tundra tea, then cailuq, a green plant that grows in the summertime.  You can also boil and drink it for medicine, but nothing helped.  She died.  I am still sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment