Friday, November 19, 2010

Letters From the Last Frontier - Alaska, 2

3/22/2003

Dear Tucson Bunch,

Monday starts Louis Bunyon Days here in Hooper Bay.  One might ask who is or was Louis Bunyon?  Well I don't know.  The best I can get out of anybody is that he was someone who did a lot for the community or influenced it in some way.  If that be the case he might have been shot of like our own James brothers should have been.  But then again no one who knows is telling me much.

Louis Bunyon Days is Hooper Bay's version of St. Patrik's Day (they have a parade,) Oktoberfest (without alcohol, lol,) Santacalogon and Rodeo Days.

The school does not close down but it might as well.  Each teacher is supposed to have a four day program consisting of art and cultural Yupik stuff.  The administration doesen't tell you how to do it however or provide any money to pay the locals.  The shop teacher is making dog sled by scrounging up wood, another guy is making a drum, and I have a bunch of popcycle sticks I found so perhaps I will make a basket.  My teaching partner George is cheating, he is hiring a local to come in and make masks and grass baskets.  Of course the money he is spending is coming out of his own pocket, a dedicated guy. Perhaps I will do the same next year, or may be I will just send the kids out on the Tundra on a scavenger hunt and put on the list something like a bowling ball.

Anyway if I make it through the week I only have about seven to go.  Oh, yes I have applied to teach summer school but either way I will be in the lower 48 for a visit.

Conley

No comments:

Post a Comment